Ken Ravizza sat down for an in-depth interview on the mental game with the inventor of the Core Velocity Belt, Lantz Wheeler…
In this 22-minute interview, they discuss the following:
- 0:45 – What does the mental game mean to you?
- 2:00 – 3 tips for a player at any level to be better at the mental game
- 3:08 – What separates the good from the great from a mental game perspective?
- 3:45 – How important is being able to accept criticism or failure?
- 6:07 – If you were a coach in today’s game (HS or College), what would you stress in the mental game if you had 10 minutes?
- 7:10 – How important is breathing; what does focusing on the breath do?
- 9:20 – How often should you practice breathing?
- 10:25 – How do you deal with a coach who is not supportive of the mental game?
- 12:00 – How important is keeping a journal?
- 13:10 – How important is confidence?
- 14:50 – Take the World Series for example… Are the players who are performing well better at handling pressure or are the struggling players just caving to pressure?
- 16:00 – How important is the pre-pitch routine?
- 18:03 – How important is body language?
- 19:10 – How important is knowing your players in terms of how to coach the mental game?
- 20:00 – What is the one thing you would tell a coach that is the most important thing to stress in terms of the mental game?